• Do it because it's fun, not because you want to achieve something.
• Write a lot, often, to get used to your own voice and trains of thought.
• Rather than "coming up with" ideas, relax and let images start appearing in your mind.
• Let your mind tell you a story, and write or record exactly what you see and hear.
• Write fast, without editing. Get all the ideas down, even if they seem ridiculous.
• Later, take the most interesting bits. It might only be a sentence! Just keep writing.
Recommended Writers on Songwriting and Performing
• Kristina Olsen
• Leonard Cohen in Songwriters on Songwriting by Paul Zollo
• Jimmy Webb Tunesmith
Recommended Writers on Writing
• Julia Cameron The Artist's Way, Walking in This World, The Sound of Paper
• Anne Lamott Bird by Bird
• Stephen King On Writing